Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Module 5 Blog



I have a very dear friend who did not know how to use the Smartboard.  We had training after school one day and she told me she was too old to stay after school for the training.  I knew the principal was checking around the room to see who did not stay.  The next day I went down to Debbie’s room and told her that the principal was checking to see who stayed for the training and who did not.  I also told Debbie I would teach her everything she needed to know.  At first she did not want to try to learn how to use the Smartboard, but then as I started showing her how to use it and she started using it she loved it.  Within a week of showing Debbie how to use the Smartboard she had finally learned how to use it completely by herself.  The worse part of all of this the principal came into her classroom two days after Debbie did not stay for the training to make sure Debbie knew how to use this new technology.  The principal was going to make sure everyone in the building learned how to use a Smartboard.  Debbie was so glad I have showed her how to use the Smartboard that she started using the Smartboard every day.



As for the ARCS, by Driscoll, A is for Attention, R is for Relevance, C is for confidence and S is for Satisfaction, by using this information, (Driscoll, 2005) I knew Debbie did not understand how to use the Smartboard, but once I got her attention and got her involved in the learning of using the Smartboard she fell in love with it.  Next, Debbie saw the relevance of using the Smartboard, because the students looked so much better when she was using it.  It took Debbie awhile to build up her confidence, but by the end of the school year she knew how to use it almost as well as I did.  Once she had learned how to use the Smartboard she became satisfied with herself and the principal was very happen with her.  With all of this the students started enjoying the class and loved to work on the Smartboard.



Reference

Driscoll, M. P. (2005).
Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson
Education, Inc.








4 comments:

  1. Lou,
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I'm glad that you were able to show your co-worker the benefits of this awesome technology. She seems much more open to learning about it than the co-worker in my own situation. What would you have tried if Debbie had continued to resist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lou,

    I am very happy that you had such great success in getting someone else to start using technology. Although I have had many successes, I am haunted by my acquaintances that have resisted using anything more complicated than an overhead projector. Sara's question about continued resistance has me curious also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou,

    It is great that you had such a positive response, I too have had my share of mishaps by trying to get teachers to use technology. There are many more that will not than will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen similar situations with introducing a new technology to my peers. It's great that you were able to help her to be successful in integrating the Smartboard.

    ReplyDelete